The 2nd Pressman is in charge of running the entire press system, takes full responsibility for printed product, must have sufficient knowledge of every component of all printing presses in the absence of the 1st Pressman. This position provides a safe working environment and ensures continuous effective operations while following/supporting the policies, goals and objectives of the company. Duties for a 2nd Pressman include, but are not limited to, preparing and operating heatset, offset presses, mounting plates, changing paper, changing color, examining job orders to determine quantity, specifications, colors, etc., visually inspects press impressions and pays extremely close attention to detail, along with performing preventative maintenance tasks on the presses.
Essential Job Functions:
- Takes direction from the First Pressman.
- Prepares and operates web, offset presses, making any adjustments (e.g. registration, color, perforation cuts, mounting plates, paper change, color change, etc), in order to ensure that the product produced meets job specifications and quality standards.
- Examines job order to determine quantity to be printed and specifications.
- Prepares proper and accurate paperwork in order to monitor status of equipment and press team.
- Monitors and ensures compliance with all OSHA, safety and environmental rules and regulations and housekeeping procedures to ensure a safe working environment and continue improving upon 5’S objectives.
- Visually inspects the press impressions by checking quality that meets job specifications and quality requirements per client.
- Performs preventative maintenance tasks (e.g. lubricating the press, cleaning the presses, replacing filters, cleaning ink rollers, dampeners and the blankets and inspecting and replacing water filters, pressure rollers, image cylinder, etc) regularly to keep equipment in good working condition and when appropriate completes maintenance requisitions.
- Ability to react quickly to make fast adjustments in order to minimize waste and downtime.
- Makes assignments on his team if he has others working with him and monitors the performance of the team.
- Takes the lead in solving problems and working with any team members in finding a solution.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of good departmental and company safety/housekeeping/PPE practices.
- Knowledge of terminology, job flow, job tickets and comply with the quality standards for the Press area.
- Basic math skills.
- Strong mechanical aptitude.
- Good communications skills both oral and written.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 5+ years in the printing industry.
Next Level Staffing, Ltd., represents a full-service staffing company that specializing in staffing clerical and industrial positions. Review our website at www.nextlevelstaff.com or call us at (262) 408-5332 for additional information.